Community Center Exploration Committee
The Community Center Exploration Committee ("CC Committee") shall be an ad-hoc committee made up of seven members, all appointed by the Board of Selectmen.
The membership shall consist of the following makeup:
- Capital Improvement and Planning Committee - 1
- Library Board Trustee - 1
- Recreation Commission Member - 1
- Council on Aging Member - 1
- Residents at Large - 3
At no point in time shall two members of another Board, Committee, or Commission occupy seats on this Committee. The CC Committee shall elect its own Chair, Vice Chair, and Clerk.
The positions shall be filled by residents of the community who are willing to volunteer their time in assisting to build a vision and a plan, in a financially responsible way on proposed next steps to developing a Community Center, which is a key priority of the recently completed Master Plan and multiple Capital Planning surveys.
The Library Director, Recreation Director, and Council on Aging Director shall act as ex-officio members of the CC Committee. As such, these positions will not count toward the quorum, nor will they have a vote on committee matters. The Community Center Exploration Committee Charge expires on December 31, 2023.
The primary charge of the CC Committee is as follows:
- Review and understand the results and feedback received during the Capital Planning Committee's Space Needs Study presented in January 2022;
- Incorporate the potential needs of all town departments, boards, committees, and commissions that were part of the 2021 Space Needs Study.
- Consider existing infrastructure, new construction, or renovation of existing infrastructure not currently owned by the Town;
- Understand the financial constraints of the Town and bring forward one or more fiscally responsible plans to advance a project for further consideration by the taxpayers of Southborough, including consideration of a public/private partnership;
- Options must consider at least one scenario where the Finn or Woodward School is available for reuse and another scenario where it is not available for reuse;
- Communication must be maintained with the Neary Building Committee as the work of the CC Committee will be considered as part of the Feasibility Study that will kick off shortly; and
- CC Committee should make a preliminary presentation by June 2023 in a public meeting of the Select Board, with the expectation that all work should be completed by December 2023.